Sunday, March 27, 2011

And the Winner is...

Kevin Correia
The Pittsburgh Pirates have announced their Opening Day starter, Kevin Correia.  Correia is in his first season with the Pirates and played for the Padres last season.  With the Padres he managed a 10-10 record with an ERA of 5.40.  Correia is 30 years old and has pitched in 741 career innings.  


I am confused as to why he was named the Opening Day starter.  His ERA is high and it is his first year with the Bucs.  I would have though Paul Maholm or even James McDonald would have got the call before Correia.  We will see what this guy has to offer, hopefully its his best.

3 comments:

  1. Well, the decision turned out to be a good one (atleast for now) because the Pirates pulled out an opening day W. I wonder how long it will take before they do decide to switch this up though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you have an opening day starter with an ERA over 5 the previous year you know your staff isnt that strong. The problem is none of the other Pirate pitchers are any better. He pitched good on opening day but the sucess will most likely be shortlived, at least thats what the Pirates have shown us in our lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope that the good pitching will not be short lived and that the Bucs can somewhat pull off a decent season. But, as stated before, many things are short-lived with the Pirates.

    ReplyDelete